Tuesday, May 30, 2006

if in doubt, give presents

One thing I do find kind of odd are those moments when co-workers bring their babies & toddlers to the office to visit. These aren’t children you see more than once or twice a year, if that, and I’m never quite sure what to do with them. Especially when the co-worker is also a friend, so you can’t get away with just ignoring them.

You don’t know really anything about the child’s likes or dislikes, or even about their basic personality type. They’re looking at you like the stranger you are, and generally seem paralysed by any questions you might ask to try to break the ice. Older kids are happy to chat about themselves, but strange toddlers can sometimes be a bit more of a challenge, especially when they're in such an unfamiliar environment.

As a non-parent, I’ve always found bribery works well in these situations. Fortunately, in my office I usually have a few little toys or pins or suchlike that my suppliers have given me (some of whom are big-name child magnets). I’ve always found that handing over one of these works a treat.

Yes, its bribery and corruption, but hey – it works!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»